This year I made a resolution to wear more leggings.
I have a love/hate relationship with leggings. To be more precise, I have a love/hate relationship with my body that goes as far back to when I began having conscious thoughts as a human being in society. That aspect of my life has been with me, day and night, waking and sleeping, for over 15 years. The idea that my body is not, has never been and will never be a conventional shape and therefore it is automatically expected to be hidden, conned, “flattered” into an optical illusion more closely resembling the standard of correctness. It’s programmed deeply into me, into all of us. The insinuation that of course I am “allowed” to accept and even love my body… that is, if I agree to the exhaustive process of either changing it or otherwise disguising it to resemble something more suitable for societal viewing.
Leggings are revealing. They are what a glossy fashion magazine calls “unforgiving” for the large and “accentuating” for the slim. Leggings cover everything yet show everything. Wearing leggings forces you - and the world - to view your own, true, unique shape. In my case, that “shape” is not one considered proper to be seen wearing leggings.
To that I say, no. I pledge to wear leggings as much as humanly possible, and love my legs in them. I am done criticizing my body for everything I’ve been told is incorrect, and fully ready to love my body for precisely what it is and (more importantly) for what it can do. I deserved to love my body at its highest weight and biggest size. I deserved to love my body in its lowest, painful ED-tortured state. I deserve to love my body at any weight, shape or size, and I am going to love my body right now. Not ten pounds from now, not ten workouts from now, not that elusive pair of “flattering” pants from now. RIGHT NOW, and for every day of my future.
I am showing my thick thunderous thighs and chunky calves to the world because I am going to love the hell out of these legs. I’m going to powerlift with them and hike mountains with them and run 5K’s with them and let cute people touch them and wear sparkly neon leggings on them or wear nothing on them at all if I feel like it. Because this love/hate relationship is finished. There’s no more room for hate. Love is taking over. <3
Anonymous asked: I just wanted to say that you are absolutely gorgeous, and the fact that Coheed and Cambria means so much to you makes you seem even more amazing. Just going to leave to this here because you're perfect.
Cute anons make me blush. <3
sniper-jose asked: Have you ever heard of The Protomen? They're a great rock band and I think they're right up your alley. If not, you should check em out. They're a Conceptual Band but they have great hits that can be standalone (Reason why I think you'd like them,) Check out Will of One. Or if you're into more 80's style rock, check out Breaking Out or Light Up the Night. They also did a Queen Cover Album. Give them a try if you ever have a chance and want something new!
I have heard of them but have somehow never actually checked them out. Thanks for the rec! A lot of people have said the same, so I’ll track down some stuff today.
Coffee hack: Shake the milk for a tasty faux-cappuccino delicious foamy top <3
Notice how Shan Yu doesn’t even question it or make a comment about “BUT YOU’RE A GIRL” he just instantly goes into a “I’LL TEACH YOU TO KILL MY MEN AND STEAL MY VICTORY” rage and I think about this a lot sometimes
((Well that might have to do with the fact that he’s a Hun. Women among the Huns had higher status than their Chinese counterparts and even some of their own men. Women were free to hunt and fight along side of the men, could choose their own husbands and divorce him if she choose to. There were even records of clans being led by women leaders. So for Shan Yu Mulan is just another soldier))
#i’m glad someone pointed that out#nomads have pretty much always been better about equality than their sedentary neighbors#also fun thing: one of the reasons the mongols never really assimilated was that mongol women flat out refused to participate in misogynistic chinese culture
The Great Wall was built to keep a WOMAN and her massive horde out of China.
Average size mannequin with average size woman.
This one is for all the girls out there in the fitosphere who are looking to get their gorgeous butts into the weightroom! Weight lifting can be challenging and sometimes intimidating for beginners, but once you get started, there is truly no fitness endeavor more rewarding. Some dedicated work in the weightroom goes a long way - heavy lifting will increase your strength, metabolism, lean mass, and overall fitness level. (And it gives you a bad-ass, shapely bod. Just saying.)
Items (retail value ~$300) :
- One pair of size 9 black/pink Mizuno Be minimalist/barefoot shoes. These lightweight, zero drop shoes are great for lifting, to maximize leg drive and provide barefoot-style stability. (not recommended for running.)
- The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. NROL is a fantastic way to get started in the weightroom. This user-friendly, sensible lifting program focuses on functional strength building through classic compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, rows, and presses. Recommended for beginner to intermediate lifters - modifications for all lifts are provided, for bodies ranging in ability and strength.
- One Nike Dri-Fit support tank top with built-in shelf bra/padding, size M.
- One 1lb tub of Optimum Nutrition whey protein, Triple Chocolate flavor.
- One six-pack of white chocolate raspberry Quest bars!
- One trial size tub of No-Xplode pre-workout supplement, Fruit Punch flavor.
- One pair of Giro fingerless fitness gloves.
- One pair of neoprene-padded lifting straps.
- Mini foam roller.
- Nike squeeze water bottle.
- Must be following me at The Dragonfly Warrior - I will check!
- Reblog for an entry, no limits on reblogs. Likes are appreciated. ;)
- Healthy blogs only. ABSOLUTELY NO thinspo, pro-ana/mia etc.
- I will use a random generator to pick a winner on April 1. Reblog before the end of March for a chance to win!
- I will ship to the US and Canada.
Even if you already know your way around the weightroom, please reblog to help get a girl into some lifting gear!