New member of the family! <3 We are naming him either Théoden or Samwise - vote please? :) #catstagram
the reason male comic book fans work themselves into a frenzied rage over “fake geek girls" is because they think they can’t get a girlfriend because of their love for comic books (a.k.a nerdiness). if they accept that geek girls genuinely love comic books, then they’re left with the cold harsh reality that it’s not their nerdiness that makes them unattractive to women, but the fact that they are misogynistic condescending dickbags who need to be avoided AT ALL COSTS
Guaranteed basic income to every citizen, whether or not they are employed to ensure their survival and that they live in a dignified, humane way, preventing poverty, illness, homelessness, reducing crime, encouraging higher education and learning vocations as well as helping society become more prosperous as a whole.
Wow. Forget raising the minimum wage. This is much much better idea.
The minimum wage could actually drop if we had basic income.
But Americans would never go for it. Miserably slogging through 12 hour days and having businesses open 24/7 is too engrained in our culture.
"BUT WHERE WILL THE GOVERNMENT GET THE MONEY?" screamed Joe Schmoe, slamming a meaty fist onto the table and getting mouth-froth all over the front of his greying tank top. "You libt*rds all think money grows on TREES!! HAHA!"
"But where will people get the incentive to work?!" Mindy Bindy cried, flapping her hands in front of her face. She’d had a fear of the unemployed lollygagging about ever since she was a child and her mother told her to be afraid of the unemployed lollygagging about. "You think people should get paid for nothing? I work hard for my money!”
"But who will serve me?" grumbled Marty McMoneybags. "Who will make me feel important? Who will do my laundry and cook my food and stand in front of me wearing a plastic smile while I take out all my stress—because I do have a lot of stress, you know, being this rich is stressful—on them?” He paused and straightened out the piles of hundred dollar bills on the desk in front of him, then raised his two watery, outraged eyes up to the Heavens. “Lord, if there are no poor people, how will I know that I’m rich??”
I laughed. This is perfect! Well said!
The thing is, while I’m sure you could scrape up a few people who’d be willing to just float by on a guaranteed minimum income? For most people the choice to work would be a no-brainer. “Hmmm. I can get by on 33k a year, or I can take that part time job and make 48k… enough to move to a better apartment, maybe take the family on vacation. Sold.” Hell, most people would want to work simply because it gives one a sense of dignity and something to do with one’s time. (Speaking as someone who’s been unemployed, on extended sick leave, etc. in her time, the boredom and sense of isolation that comes with not having a job is almost as bad as the humiliation of having to depend on other people for one’s survival.)
And with this system, part-time jobs and “non-skilled” jobs would be much more readily available because nobody would need to work two or three jobs just to stay afloat!
Which would ALSO mean that employers and customers couldn’t shamelessly exploit employees the way they can today, because if losing a job weren’t necessarily a financial disaster, more people would be willing to walk out on jobs where they weren’t being treated with dignity.
And if this also applies to students (and it should) then student loans would become much less of a problem, and fewer people would flunk out of school because of having to juggle studies and work.
Far fewer people would be forced to stay with abusive partners, parents or roommates because they couldn’t afford to move out.
And the thing is, all those people who suddenly had money? They’d be spending it. They’d be getting all the stuff they can’t afford now - new clothes, books, toys, locally-produced food, car repairs - and with each purchase money would flow BACK to the government, because VAT, also income tax.
The unemployed and/or disabled wouldn’t need special support any more - which would also mean the government could fire however many admins who are currently engaged in humiliating - *cough* making sure those people aren’t getting money they don’t deserve. Same for medical benefits and pensions. And I’m no legal scholar, but I somehow imagine less financial desperation would lead to less petty crime, and hence less need for police and security everywhere?
TL;DR Doomie thinks this is a good idea, laughs at those who protest.
reblogging for more top commentary
They tried something like this out in Canada as a sort of social experiment, called Mincome. What they found was that, on the whole, people continued to work about as much as they did before. Only new mothers and teenagers worked substantially less hours.
But wait, there’s more. Because parents were spending just a little more time at home and involved with their families, test scores increased. Because teens didn’t have to work to support their families, drop-out rates decreased. Crime rates, hospital visits, psychiatric hospitalizations and domestic abuse rates all dropped, as well. More adults pursued higher education. Those who continued to work reported more job flexibility and more opportunity to choose employment they preferred.
Basically, now you can go prove to your asshole family members that society won’t collapse without poor people for you to feel better than.
The picture is awesome, but read the commentary, that’s what I’m reblogging for.
Evening Post: August 12, 1899.
"She immediately alighted, caught hold of the astonished youth, and gave him a sound thrashing, using her fists in a scientific fashion…”
I would love to know what this means.
I think that might be code for “punched him in the balls with devastating accuracy”.
#FERGUSON protestor returns tear gas canister back to sender…
This is Amerikkka 2014
while eating his chips lol
People so often use “iconic” to refer to things that are not iconic, but I feel like this picture really will be.
I said it before in a tag, but I think the American flag T-shirt is what’s going to make this the biggest image to come out of Ferguson. Few things make an impression like wearing a T-shirt with the flag of the land of the free and the home of the brave on it while you throw back a tear gas canister that the people who are supposed to be protecting you threw at you in the first place just for protesting.
this is the laziest fucking gang I’ve ever seen
All right guys, this is it! “Find Your More” is happening.
Please like or reblog this photo if you plan on participating - I’d like to get a rough estimate of what to expect, and a signal boost would definitely help. (You can delete the text if you want to!)
For those who missed it, “Find Your More” is a personal project I’ve been working on that I’ve developed into a one-year challenge, and you’re all welcome to do this with me. This is not a weight loss or fitness challenge (although those things may factor into your outcome); it is a positive wellness and lifestyle challenge! If you choose to participate, it’s starting at the beginning of September. It will involve:
- No calorie counting (unless for purely medical purposes).
- No weighing yourself (see above).
- A focus on whole foods from all food groups, mindful/intuitive eating, unbiased food education, and casual self-assessment to feel out what your own unique nutritional needs are to make your own unique body function ideally.
- Learning to detach food from the concept of morality, eliminating the ideas of guilt/compensation/righteousness from the process of eating, and disengaging from other harmful societal values that exacerbate our culture’s general poor relationship with food and eating.
- A focus on physical activity as an enjoyable way to make your body and mind feel good and work better, rather than solely as a method of altering physical appearance for superficial results.
- Exploring different types and outlets of physical activity as a learning experience and to help yourself discover activities that you never considered, or that make you feel good, or that your own unique body might be especially suited to.
- A focus on a manageably healthy lifestyle at any size or weight or shape. (A healthy body comes from a healthy lifestyle, but as a culture we seem to have gotten that mixed up.)
- Making time for life experiences, learning and trying new things, and allowing flexibility within a healthy and moderate lifestyle.
- Disengaging from the good body/bad body binary. All bodies are good bodies, including yours. Learning to walk away from the cultural values that sell you things to change yourself, and learning to be accepting of all physical choices and appreciative of all bodies, including your own.
- A focus on daily positivity, even if it’s small. Share a thing from your day that you feel was beneficial to your overall, long-term wellness.
- Everything is 100% voluntary and very unstructured. This is not a “program”. There are no lists, timetables, numbers, or specific meal plans.
- See where you are in one year.
This is a challenge designed to break the cycle of diet culture and disordered relationships with food and exercise. We can live well and be healthy without measuring, obsessing, or buying into things that tell us we are not good enough. We are all more than our bodies, our weights, and our measurements. Whatever your “more” might be… let’s go find it. <3
(Please tag your related posts with #findyourmore or #find your more so I can see them!)
In your last hour’s stand…